Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Korean/Mexican Fusion? Ole!

Lunch time is one of my favorite times of the day..... especially when it's Kimchi Burrito day.

I'm an avid user of yelp.com and have always noticed this one hole-in-the-wall in the FIDI (Financial District of SF) that serves kimchi burritos and other "to-go" korean dishes/mini-mart items/lottery tickets. Lines are always out the door and congregate for one special dish: The bulgogi kimchee burrito.

Location: John's Snack & Deli  (rated 4 solid stars on yelp.com)








40 Battery St

San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 434-4634




Specs: Fresh, made-to order bulgogi beef, sauteed kimchi, salsa , lettuce, cheese, cilantro all wrapped in a soft tortilla shell. When I say made-to order, I literally mean that they bring out a hot-pot and start cooking the marinated beef right in front of you. As you can see, I more than obliged to take a photo with my blackberry...or maybe it was just an excuse to stain my clothes & hair with the aroma of sizzling Korean beef!!



Review: I had prepared myself for a decent burrito and a bit of sweetness (per the reviews I read). When I read the title, " Kimchi Burrito ", I'd anticipated it to be fiery goodness and hoped that those who mentioned the sweet factor were over-analytical food snobs. Although the burrito featured sauteed kimchi and deliciously marinated bulgogi beef, the other reviews were right on..a little too sweet for my taste. I ordered it without cheese since I'm lactose intolerant and really didn't notice a difference. The flavors of the beef, the kimchi and the salsa were quite pungent and worked well with each other. Next time, I think I'll order it extra hot and perhaps request fresh kimchi.

Rating: 4/5 - The, "little-too-sweet" factor subtracted a whole point for me.

Until next time, happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree/disagree/want to try or have another comment on this post? If so, let me know. I'd love to read your feedback!