Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

mMm mMM Lentils!

98 Battery St
(between Bush St & Pine St)
San Francisco, CA 94111

Here is another review on one of my favorite lunch spots in the FIDI. The building I work in is in between John's Snack and Deli (previous revue) and Hadi's Cafe. This is a quick and easy lunch spot always filled with hungry patrons. They serve mainly Greek/Mediterranean foods but offer bagels, sandwiches and salads as well.

Review: I have ordered many dishes here including: Chicken Gyro, Mediterranean plate, Falafel Wrap and Lentil Soup. You really can't go wrong with anything you order here. It is family owned and operated and you can see them prepare each dish with fresh ingredients. I often check out a restaurant's health inpsection score card so I'll  know if I can expect to have food poisoning after. You will be happy to know that they have received a rating of 100% from the health department. Not very many places I've been to have had the honor of  receiving such a high score.

Lentil Soup $3.25 for Heaven!

Ratings: Lentil Soup- I have been on a lentil soup kick for a couple months now and have sampled about five different bowls and none have compared to Hadi's Lentil soup. If you are a fan of garlic and broth based soups, you must try this soup. First of all, lentils are extremely healthy for you (they serve as a good source for lean protein and fiber, help lower the risk of heart disease and help lower cholesterol). The garlic in this soup must be cooked for many hours because once it hits your tongue, it just melts. This itself deserves 5 stars.  5/5



Falafel Wrap- I was once turned off by falafel because it was really dry and tasteless. Hadi's falafel wrap is simple, yet delicious. It's not dry or tasteless and comes in a pita with Tahiti, Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onions and Hummus. The sweet lady at the front will ask you if you want it spicy and I must warn you, it's SPICY! If you want my advice, get the spicy on the side. It's really good in smaller doses. 5/5

Chicken Gyro- For some reason, everyone who was in line with me yesterday ordered this dish. Of course, I noticed that this was the common topic on yelp, but was more influenced to try it out for myself with the recurring order yesterday.  The chicken was nicely seasoned and moist and the wrap came with lettuce, tomatoes and sauce. I myself do not like creamy sauces swimming in my wrap and for some reason, it was yesterday and had to scoop some off with my spoon. The wrap itself was very tasty, but the overwhelming drizzles of sauce took off a point for me. Maybe it was a boo-boo? 4/5

Mediterrean Plate- Everything is pretty good, however I have had better dolmas. The dolma skin wasn't as easy to cut with my teeth in comparison to many other dolmas I've gobbled up. This also deducted a point for me, but overall, a light and satisfying meal. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree/disagree/want to try or have another comment on this post? If so, let me know. I'd love to read your feedback!