Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Banh Mi up Scotty!

 

2146 Irving St.
San Francisco, CA 94122


I LOVE VIETNAMESE SANDWICHES! Do you? I've been going to this small,bustling shop ever since high school. My favorite sandwich of all time is the Fancy Pork sandwich with extra cilantro and carrots. To me, any place can have their own variation of bbq chicken, pork, combination pork etc. But it all comes down (for me) to the bread. Some places give you the kind of french bread that looks like a crescent, some give super flaky bread and some give the perfectly toasted french baguette. 

Review: Most people flock here for the BBQ pork sandwich and for the combination pork sandwich. In my opinion, they are all good. However, the fancy pork sandwich always makes me happy and is a comfort food for me. What is "Fancy Pork" you ask? I'm not completely sure, nor do I really want to know what parts go into making this cream colored sausage. You can pair this with pate or leave it as is. Either way, it's delish with the pickled daikon & carrots, cilantro, home-made egg mayo and their special sauce (fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar combo). This place averages $2.75 a sandwich and for $.50, you can add pate, extra veggies and $1 for extra meat. There are also other types of food items on the menu as well as many other traditional desserts.



#17) Steam Rice Cake with Shredded Pork & Fancy Pork $5.50 
  
#6) Fancy Pork Sandwich $2.75


#20) Spring shrimp Rolls (Cold) $ 4.00

Rating: Everything here is so cheap, it's conveniently located on Irving and is always consistent in value/taste. What more can you ask for? If you love fresh, made-to-order Vietnamese sandwiches w/ crispy french baguettes, you will love this place. I think this is one of the best Banh Mi joints in San Francisco and definetely deserves a 5/5!

1 comment:

Do you agree/disagree/want to try or have another comment on this post? If so, let me know. I'd love to read your feedback!